- 200 g fresh long pasta – spaghetti or tagliatelle
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with salt
- 1 whole chilli, split on the stalk
- 1 200 g tin sardines
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Basil leaves
- In a wok or frying pan heat 2 Tbsp oil and mix in the breadcrumbs. Cook until brown, remove from the pan and keep.
- Boil the pasta for 4 minutes.
- Wipe the wok and heat 1 Tbsp oil
- Fry the garlic and almost immediately add the chilli. Cook for a minute but do not brown.
- Tip the sardines in with the garlic and chilli
- Crush the sardines with the back of the spoon, and heat.
- Transfer the drained cooked pasta to the sardine mixture.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Serve sprinkled with the crisp breadcrumbs and basil leaves.
Suggestions: Use sardines in tomato sauce and leave out most of the lemon juice.